This year in the Senior Room, we decided to do the Our World project. The project is about helping developing countries like Africa overcome extreme poverty and hunger there are eight millennium goals and here they are:
- 1) Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger
- 2) Achieve universal primary education
- 3) Promote gender equality and empower woman
- 4) Reduce child mortality
- 5) Improve maternal health
- 6) Combat HIV/AIDS malaria and other diseases
- 7) Ensure environmental sustainability
- 8) Global partnership for development.
This year we are focusing on MDG No. 1 and No.7.
To begin the project, we were started off learning about the goals. So we watched a video about farming in developing countries, played a table quiz and then we played a farming game learning about crops.
Then after that we brainstormed ideas for the project the ideas we decided on were: Learning Corn, Crop table, Malawi art, Drama, a PE game, Board game and Postcards.
Afterwards we got into groups and each group got a topic. We worked on our own topic for the week. On the Friday of that week we invited 3rd and 4th class down to the hall. The drama group preformed their play, ‘Different Worlds’ and then we showed the classes all of the other things that we did.
I learned how in caring for the planet we can feed our world.
If you would like to see all of our work you can pop into the Rachel Murphy Hall in our school and see our work.
By Lauren Doyle 6th class